Sunday, February 13, 2011

Eat Pray Love

Just watched the movie yesterday and I gotta say that it hit the spot someplace. I've always wondered what I am really doing with my life. I am sure a lot of us are asking ourselves the question all the time. If you are not, good luck to you since you either know what you are up to or clueless about your ignorance.

There were so many things about the characters in the movie that was touching. A woman who has lost herself in her marriage and when she gets out of it, is not sure what she is; the snarky Richard from Texas; Ketut the Balinese medicine man; her lovely friend Sofi. As the landlady in Italy says, in the end the most important thing is "familia". Liz is touched by this diverse set of people and in turn touches their lives and becomes a part of their family.

In the protagonist's path to self-discovery, she has suddenly touched something in me. It's not an emptiness, nor is it a sudden awareness of what I want. It could just be that I was able to identify with a lot of things in the movie. This one quote was the highlight of the movie for me - "When you set out in the world to help yourself, sometimes you end up helping... Tutti", where Tutti in Italian is "everyone".

PS: YMMV!

2 comments:

bingwiz said...

!...the moral...move on to newer people...move on to newer activities...move on to newer paths...do not forget learnt lessons...but forget the past (period)

Arvind N said...

Agree with the part about learning from the past & move on instead of getting stuck in it.